Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hugo

Last night, I dragged Yesfir out of the house and we went to a movie.  Initially, it was to Mission Impossible 4, but then we saw there was also some movie called Hugo.  Well, I had never heard of it, but some of her friends had recommended it.  So, we took the gamble and saw Hugo.

First off, this is an exceptional movie and I highly recommended it!

So the story revolves around a boy, a girl he meets and a strange old man whom is the girl's god-father.  I will not spoil the film for you if you have not seen it, other than to say that it revolves around the early days of film making - the silent picture era.

Many of the clips they used, or recreated were from my much loved days of viewing silent films. To good ol' days back when actors knew how to act, story tellers how to create a story, etc.  Yeah, I am not much of a fan for what passes as cinema these past sixty years.

I have three silent film favorites: Chaplin's The Prospector, Lang's Woman In the Moon, and of course, from the Earth to the Moon.  Jules Verne really knew how to write a story!  I loved that book and every film made on that story line since the first one!  Sure they are corny but they are entertaining.  Car chases were comical, fires were tragedies, shootings to be mourned and with only rare exception were the babes ever in "display" mode.  Yeah, the loss of innocence is always to be mourned!

Story is intriguing, acting is only so-so, but then again it is a kids movie, photography  pleasant, and more importantly - it is family friendly!

I am not sure if a child will actually enjoy this as much as adults whom are just plain tired of the Hollywood recipe of gun battles, car chases, explosions and scantily clad women.

You will love this movie if, like me, you are tired of what Hollywood has been producing.  A hearty "Good Job!" to those whom produced a fine film for a change!

No comments: