Friday, March 16, 2012

Adulthood

So, today is a special day.  It is the day when the prevailing laws of this land place upon Yesfir the title and responsibility of adulthood.  And I could not but stop and think.....

It used to be 18 when the State made you an adult.  Yeah, a by-gone day of the draft and war protests, beer drinking and pizza, being careful because "now it counts".  As soon as I was out of school, my friends and I all took off for what was supposed to be a celebration of my new adulthood conferred upon me by the State.

Three days later I came to, awakening to the realization that those I had trusted had slipped me a "mickey".  No chance of really knowing what had occurred, other than a fairly long laundry list of charges I received as I was let out of holding by the Colorado State Patrol - after "coming to".  Yeah, that made that birthday memorable!

I think I can guarantee Yesfir's birthday will be less memorable!  It would be so nice if I could have done something special for her; bring her family together to celebrate and heal.  Or make her a present of a trip, perhaps back to Italy, or to see her mother and sister, or even to the rest of her family.  But, alas that darn bank account problem!

Yet in one regard, God has made this a special birthday for her - one where she has a father.  No small gift if you consider either my size or what it took for the two of us to meld into this relationship.  He probably gave her the longest term present she is likely to receive this year, assuming that I have some longevity left in me!  LOL!

On the other hand I was commenting to her that it is so bizarre to see how she is being made a child, with a father, at exactly the same time as the world sets her apart as an adult.  You have to admit there is a very dark sense of humor in that!  "Learn to be a child.  Oh yeah, by the way, you are an adult today!"

But, I think Yesfir has found being my child is to be treated as an adult and to be loved.  She has not discovered the depths of unconditionally yet, but I have no doubts she will try.

:^)

Happy Birthday dear daughter and know.....

No comments: