Friday, August 23, 2013

Jesus Loves Me

My favorite tee-shirt says in large letters: Jesus Loves You, But He Loves Me More!

Yeah, sort of tongue in cheek but the only way to really explain what my pastor calls "The Mystery of Kris", you see God treats me with quite some consideration.  I always  just figure because I am so stinking naive that I have no clue what I am really doing.  Which might not be so far off.

So, I am down in Casa Adobes, north of Tucson, a few weeks ago and the little church I attend when I am there - well, something unexpected always comes up!  This time around it was one death and five murders!  Gees!  A college age, whom murdered his parents and siblings, then took off for Vegas with the family car, best friend, a wad of cash cards and credit cards, and what on earth could have been in their minds!  The single death was one of the young ladies in the church whom was an exchange student to Spain and was killed in that train crash.  Wow.

And the pastor apparently became aware of a great deal of controversy in the church over this, there usually is with the American zeal for pointing self-righteous fingers and claiming that were it not for those people's sin, then they would still be alive today.  Only, the Bible tells us that ALL of our days are in God's hands, from birth to death.  And, whether we die in bed to a deranged relative with an axe, on a train reading a book, or even out jogging - we will die at exactly the right time.  Sin or no sin, has nothing to do with the argument.

And the pastor was wise for the service was tailored completely to support his message.  God was praised through hymns and readings - to emphasize HIS sovereignty.  Sin was addressed, as was forgiveness and fellowship.

And then he picked up a guitar, walked down the steps to the main area and started to sing a song:



Yeah, his song was Jesus Loves Me, But He Can't Stand You.
I was dying of laughter, I honestly thought there was no breath left for me to draw!

And he closed with: "This song is what the Lord's Prayer is not about!  Jesus, forgive us, gives compassion, lead us in your footsteps ... "

The sermon over - people fled the building!  I sat in the back and walk pretty slow at times due to my back - the building was empty by the time I made the front door!  Talk about hitting a home run there preacher!  And I congratulated him on a job well done.  He gave me a really funny look.

And all of this is tongue in cheek, for I know at least one whom reads this blog is not a Christian on the inside.  Yes, Jesus does love you and He has an awesome plan for your life, but it might not be what you wanted or expected.....

No comments: