Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Love In Action

If you are even an irregular reader, you know that I have been writing about what has been one of the hardest lessons of my life - my assassination at the hands of another and God's demands to use me as a vehicle of mercy for that person.  It has not gone well, is still in motion and I have no idea where things go in the short term - long term, yeah I can have some confidence in.

And it seems daily I am learning quite a bit, so I want to post what I am learning, for me to reread later.  If you enjoy watching Kris self implode, enjoy ...

Back home from my uncomfortable lunchtime yesterday, I retired to the bath to soak my leg, reading and praying over 1 John, in particular chapters 4, 5 and 6.  John is describing love in all of its contexts.  Might have been nice to be able to have used those in my discussions at lunch.  Sigh ...  And this triggered a memory of many discussions, teaching and lectures from my current pastor over resent years:

2 Timothy 2:23 - 26

The short of it: 
  • Avoid controversies
  • Teach
  • Do not argue

Certainly makes sense.  No one likes being argued with.  No one likes being lectured.  And getting involved in controversy will only push others away from truth, not towards it.  And because I was so black and white in my viewpoints on all things in life:

What do  you do when you are solidly right and "they" are so dead wrong?

Stop Arguing
Avoid controversies which will lead to quarrels.
Our job is not to win arguments but to continually point to Jesus.
Do not fight.
Do not be quarrelsome.
Strife will lead to ego problems.
Controversy is viewpoint issues.

Be cautious in:
  • Grey areas of faith.
  • What might not be sin (rebellion against God).
  • Knowing what is really sin and what is not.
Start Loving
One of my two favorite quotes from James:
Be quick to listen, slow to speak.

  • Respond, do not just react
  • Be approachable to everyone.

Teach:
  • Stand for truth always.
  • Do not let controversy turn into strife!

Patience:
  • Allow others to express themselves.
  • Show love.
  • Drive for resolution.
  • Know that you are human, and so are they!

Gentleness:
  • Be slow to take offense.
  • Be quick to forgive their attack.
  • No one likes being corrected.

Wait
Satan has the unique ability to blind us to the sin (rebellion to God) he is leading us towards.
  • We will be tricked into not seeing the true impact of our sin.
  • We will no longer be able to see or know truth during this time.
  • Sin separates us from God, period.

We must show compassion.
  • Only God can change a human heart, not our words, wishes or deeds.
  • We are to call them out of sin and back to God.
  • God will lead them as they are willing to be led.

-----

In the end, I was able to restate my lunchtime conversation in a much better and simpler manner, with truth from my heart over the situation.  However, I received no response, so I imagine either they are still angry with me or really do not care, perhaps both.  Which is a shame.  I was never the enemy here, just one of the many victims ...

No comments: