Thursday, December 19, 2013

In Passing

Noted in passing on Wednesday is the passing of Ken Hutcherson.  He was a football player, a pastor and a royal pain in the *tush* to the politicians of Washington state.

In Kris' book you think you are something because you are a sports star, I pity you.
In Kris' book you are an ex-sports celebrity, I pity you.
In Kris' book you are a Chrisitian getting wound up in social issues, I pity you.

So you can see I had a few bones of contention with Ken ...  However, I knew Ken and respected him immensely.

Mind you, I had no idea whom he was at first but we both were working on the same issue - Washington State's draconian adoption laws.  This is where I planned on retiring, this is where I knew I would have a family one day, this was where I knew I would have problems because I knew I would eventually adopt internationally!

Ken was far more articulate than I and with his celebrity could gain access to those whom would shun a no one like me.  So, we could talk on the issue at hand and he presented ideas and arguments to encourage the adoption environment in this State.  To a point there was success and we were in agreement. 

Just a chance encounter, two people with nothing in common except the same Lord.

Ken went on to battle the gay and lesbian agenda, which step by step has conquered this state, the definition of marriage, and many other social agenda items around here.

I guess I view the question of marriage as being between a man, a woman and God - just because the government demands the right of taxation and offers you incentives to register with them, does not change whom marriage is before.  But, Ken fought with the government their right to define or redefine the definition of marriage.  All Christians have lost in this state legally but it changes nothing before God.

We are lessened with the loss of Ken and his willingness to remind politicians they stand before a judging God, whether they like it or not.  Outspoken sometimes, even a little rough but a genuine concern for where our culture is going.  And whether you were powerful or poor, even a no one, he had time to talk with you and even work with you ...

No comments: