Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Born To Die

Outside of Enoch and Elijah, no one I know of has left this physical exisitence here on Earth and not had to transition through death of the physical body first.  That means that all of us were born to die.

Death is a physical reality to each and everyone of us and of course in all of our schooling we never get the real class we could use like: getting through a parents' death, what are you supposed to do, how are we to face our own death?

Of course, none of us were born to die by design, no we get to thank either Adam or Eve, your choice depending on your Theology, for whom to blame.  So what is the point here?  I have stated a paradox.

The only human being actually born into death, was Jesus.  He came because He knew He had to die.  He came because without His death, all other humans would be lost in their sin.  He came expressly knowing He would die.

One of my better lessons was one which I gave on a Christmas Eve, laying out Jesus' birth, everyone agreed.  I layed out His reason for coming, everyone agreed.  I laid out that His death was foreordained, God knew, He knew, He was going to be sacrificed - His entire reason for being born in the first place - and you would have thought me a heretic for the reception that idea drew.

Really?
The Romans really had a choice not to kill Jesus?
The Jews would really welcome Jesus as their Messiah?
Somehow mankind could choose wisely, choosing Jesus over the lure of sin?
Really?

Dutchman and I sat and talked through yesterday afternoon.  His father-in-law is dying in Holland, multiple cancers, the end was written a year ago, we never thought it would take this long.  Today his sister-in-law is being married by her father, perhaps his last ritual to perform.

I thought quietly back to the day Dutchman got married.  Such a disaster of a day.  Such a blessed day as well.  Dutchman's flaming natural red afro towering over this bride and everyone else other than me (I was still 4" taller at the time!).  It was hot, his youngest brother passed out.

And this giant in the Reformed Church stood there and calmly led a ceremony which basically laid out that if you toss my daughter you are going to die and I am going to ask the best man to do it!  We all three laughed as the blue hairs gasped in the background.

Now he is just a part of history- but more on that when he does pass on.

I thought of my body and its not so slow failing.  Yeah, like almost all other humans I have expected to die.  YOLO was my motto long before those whom use this as a battle cry in this generation were ever born.  Because of the past year now I can understand how true YOLO really is.  Not because I have to pump up the volume of my life, but because each moment is precious - to be shared - to be lived - with the understanding that we here not for ourselves but for others and to represent Him.

This holiday, think on the shortness of this life and how fragile it really is.  Perhaps you might draw the courage to witness just one more time to that aging relative, to comfort those in pain or ill health, to laugh with those in joy.

To my friend, thank you, you have brought me a joy no one would ever understand.
To my daughter, because of you God rewarded me as He probably never has done before.
To my long term friends, you are family, you are now actually loved.
To my family here and in Switzerland, my prayers and best wishes are all yours.
To my God, you sure knocked my socks off this year!
Thank you.

Merry Christmas dear reader.

No comments: