Saturday, October 26, 2013

Musical Saturday Morning

I was going to post something from my childhood, but then realized how it would be very meaningless to most of my readers, save for old Europeans like me!  Maybe I will tell you about it next week ...  But, what to post instead for my Saturday music?

Disclaimer Alert!  Okay, just because I link to a song by Blondie, does not mean I support drug abuse nor the concept that Debbie Harry somehow survives.  If I was to link to Britney Spears, would not be an endorsement of any part of her life or life style.  In like fashion, I think this man is incredibly talented - completely whacked as an individual - but with an exceptional falsetto voice.  Yes, it is Klaus Nomi, I only mention this since some may now not wish to now play the video - but it is worth viewing.

However, he was a talented entertainer and his voice - I think - was shown for what it was capable of when he did his first public appearance in 1978.  Okay, you are going to be playing to a punk rock crowd, the previous "acts" contained many - uhm - appalling performances (if that is what you want to call them!) and now it is the end of the show.  Yeah, the sponsors were not too sure how this was going to go over with the crowd and after the curtains had closed for the final act and the applause had died down - the curtains suddenly opened again.

There stood a man, dressed in a black evening gown with a plastic overcoat and high collar.  He stepped out onto the stage amid the cat calls from the audience and, well, the rest became history:



Nomi had selected the aria from the 1877 opera, Samson and Delila, "My heart opens to your voice".  A beautiful love song.  And if you watched the video, you heard a punk rock crowd go from cat calls to tears in four minutes. 

At the time a 100 year old song and they say art does not transcend generations!  Yeah, the crowd responded.

No comments: