Monday, October 7, 2013

Gravity

Saturday evening I had a chance to escape to the movies, something I do not seem to have time for much any more!  I desperately wanted to see a sci-fi movie - no realism, just pure entertainment satisfaction - I got far more than I expected!

It was a toss up, Pacific Rim or World War Z were my top picks at the dollar theather.  Swedish Rocket Scientist told me to just buy WWZ, because it is an owner and we should so see Pacific Rim.  But, I saw Gravity was playing in 3-D and plans changed instantly!  That is to say the title was intriguing, the lure of George Clooney, not.  Honestly, outside of the fact that he is a "face" I have never seen a movie yet where he acted!  And, also honestly, it was with relief when he disappeared from this movie, because he contributed nothing.  He still is just a "pretty face" and I am sure for the same money they could have gotten an actor if the producers had thought about it ...  I am glad he cleans up nicely and looks dashing in a tux (yawn!), but being an actor actually requires some ability that he does not have.  Sorry, you get to join Pierce Brosnan on that count!

Sandra Bullock, scored major in this movie!  If she does not get the nod for an Oscar, I will be stunned because this may well be the finest performance she has ever given!  Unfortunately, outside of 2001 and First Encounters, Oscars are scarce in the Sci-fi world.

The movie covers the hours surrounding a disaster in space, a missile test goes bad, creating orbiting debris taking out everything in its path.  Too bad the space shuttle is up there on a mission to fix the Hubble Telescope!  Hubble is destroyed, the shuttle is destroyed, half the crew killed and the rollercoaster ride begins as asset after asset in space is destroyed.

No, I am not going to give any secrets away!

But, Sandra distinguished herself in having to play someone, with no reason to live, having to make the choice to live.  The last third of the movie, sans Clooney, was exceptionally powerful and very well done - yeah with some holes you could put an aircraft carrier through, but then that is what makes a movie entertaining for me.

So, teen friendly as long as you understand that in space you wear underwear.  Nothing even remotely sexual.  Good language control.

Sorry, no bullets - just space debris.  No exploding cars, but plenty of space carnage.  No blood and guts dripping off the walls.  And yet, it is still an excellent movie to see!

It is a must see.
It is an owner.
Bullock was awesome.
The final third of the movie was outstanding.
It is gripping, a nail-biter, entertaining, yet almost reasonable - as far as reality goes.

Simply, WOW!, what a ride ... !

No comments: