Monday, July 29, 2013

Garage Saleing

I have taken the last three Saturdays to go garage and yard saleing!  It has been quite a bit of fun, you never know what people believe to be precious and their prices show what they believe is.

But what you do not find is extremely interesting as well.  If you are looking for books, well outside of estate sales, most have only romance novels to offer.  The estate sales might have some very rare volumes and not only are they cheap but I seem to be the only one interested in buying them!  Cookbooks are another item people do not seem to prize.  Forty, even fifty year old cookbooks, $ .25, some in brand new condition!  I stumbled across a 1967 Betty Crocker Cooky first edition at the end of one day - no one looks at books.  I also picked up a 1950 first edition, first printing, like new Betty Crocker picture cookbook!  If you love to cook - you need this one - it is an imperative!

Beer steins are not prized at all and generally go for $3.00 - oh to have a shop in the homeland now!  That includes silver ones dated 1820!  Its German, "who cares", seems to be the attitude.

Probably of no interest to most, however very important to my own collection now - an Ashel Curtis print of an indian spearfishing!  That sepia tone is quite rare and at $2.00, wow!  I tried to talk with the lady but she was adamant that all of her mother's stuff go for $2.00, "she only had junk after all!".  People can be interesting when you try to help them.  Her most prize possession?  She had priced a meat smoker at $125, maybe it is worth it, I have no idea, but when you are willing to sell a $500 photo for $2 and then argue it is not worth more.  What can you say?  I shook my head all of the way back to the car.  To collectors a piece of photographic history - to her, an "ugly stupid photo".  Yeah, my kids did not care either.

And I had my first sale in my antique mall case!  I was very excited!  It paid for half of next months rent and was a US colonial 3 pence I could not have cared less about!  So cool.  But, surprising that is all.

No comments: