Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hero For A Day

So Kris managed to be a hero for the day and deserved to earn his 15 minutes of accolades, well heck you would have done the same.

I took my grand kids to the park where there are numerous slides, various configurations of jungle gym, swings, teeter-tooters, etc.  (must be another one of those British-isms, I learned teeter-todder as a child!)  So for about an hour my kids had a blast while their mother was in the hospital with some heat related issues.

After about half an hour there, a 3 year old Hispanic boy comes running into the park and I can not see anyone with him!  So, I keep one eye on my kids and the other on him and I keep wondering, where is his mother?  And let me tell you that little rascal was all boy!  He was into and climbed everything!  I actually was wishing my son or grandson were that adventuresome.

So at one point, he is about eight feet off the ground and I suddenly get the sense that he is about to be in horrible trouble.  I leapt up, ran off and just had him in arm's reach when he fell!  Yeah, I caught him, his mother appeared from nowhere and I returned to my seat and to watching my kids.

I felt very pleased.  Kris does not move fast because of his knees, he can not bear any weight because of those four missing lumbars - yet I got there in time and saved that kid from some very solid injuries - and all with no thanks from him or the mother.  Go figure.

But, I am still very happy about this, even if unknown and unrecognized by life, my 15 minutes of non-recognition....

No comments: