Friday, November 11, 2011

To The Memory of Those Whom Fought On All Sides

Americans now call it Veteran's Day, but it was known as Armistice Day when I was growing up - the day World War I, The War To End All Wars, came to an end officially.  Unofficially, it was another eight months of hell for the Germans because the French refused to surrender their weapons and it was still open season on any unarmed German.  They never did do very well against the armed ones.  Little piece of history not exactly preserved in the victor's history.

But, this day held special meaning to me because I grew up on the Maginot Line, in the Ardennes Forest; the ruins wrought by WWI surrounding me.  Of course, with my love for history I was all over the place hunting, exploring, learning.  There were still villas which had never been repaired following that war, trenches and bunkers whose intent had to be deciphered, as well as, the original French fortifications whose narrow gun ports had all pointed in the wrong direction.  You would be surprised at what you can learn by observation and thought - thinking through how did a bunker fall, where did the shot come from which made a bullet hole in a wall or tree.  And let us not forget calculating where the German rail guns had been hidden, from impact data in Paris.  Fascinating stuff.

Of course, it is the early 1960's and no one really cared anymore, except around Verdun, where the French released mustard gas on the German forces, without checking the winds first and almost annihilated their army from existence.....  The gas still sits in the soil awaiting wind storms to pick it up and drop in the valley of tiny Verdun below.

I have never fought in a war, it has been my express desire since becoming a Christian to never take a human life.  As a child I would sit in those 50 year old trenches and peer over to where the enemy would be coming from.  What had the soldiers thought whom had lived and died in those trenches.  What made them climb out to rush head-on into the German lines and their heavy machine guns?  They had to have known they would die, yet they did it anyway.

I have known many WWI veterans, from all sides of the war.  None of them really wanted to be there, all of them were pretty sure that if they had killed anyone it was a complete accident - throw lead in the air to keep the officers happy.  Several held the Croix de Guerre, one even held the US Congressional Medal of Honor, if ever I can find a picture of him, I will tell his story - how to get a CMH and not kill a soul!  My favorite tale teller held the Pour le Merite (also known the as 'The Blue Max'), Germany's highest award for valor.  What I would have given to have his metal - not so much for value but for the memories we shared.  Of all of them, none wore their metals or ribbons, even on Armistice Day, save for a few of the French on this day alone.

Without exception, all of those I knew from WWI lost their faith in mankind, a few their minds, and a few more their faith in God.  How could mankind have fought so uncivilized a war - over so poor of an excuse for war?  Truly, it was the war of Victoria's spoiled grandchildren! Farmers from the US were not prepared to face German technology.  No one was.  Even being German I can say I am glad the Allied Powers were able to end the war, and as a German sorrowful that politicians were allowed to negotiate the terms of surrender.  That little sticking point was what brought WWII to Europe.

This is now the first year where there are no survivors from those trenches left alive.  And yet, their memory and their stories must live on - if ever we are to learn from history - so it will never be repeated again.....

Even as a Hutterite, therefore a pacifist, I still appreciate veterans and the price they have paid for their beliefs - on either side of a conflict.  To those whom have fought for the concept of freedom - I thank you.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Amen! Well said...