Monday, November 21, 2011

Things Better Not Known

Did you ever hear the old saying, "Never let the pastor babysit your parrot."?  Of course, the idea is that you really do not want the parrot repeating to the pastor what is said in your house.  By the same token, loaning out your teenager might be a bad idea as well.

Yeah, I have had a close friend's teenager staying here (yes, from Europe).  And what a handful!  He is a nice 15 year old kid, but his language really leaves a great deal to be desired - far too many swear words.  But, then again I know behind my back my kids swear like sailors are said to - and it is the very rare occasion I hear my father's words depart my mouth!  So, perhaps this young man is just mimicking his culture back home and not his parents.  On the other hand, I know the particular words he uses are those his mother uses in frustration.... Hmmmm.

But the real shocker was when I picked up my latest Sunset magazine to read, "Oh, you just got your Playboy?"  What the ........ ?????  Then it dawned on me, why would he even associate magazine, with "Playboy", if it was not something found in his home?

My mind actually hick-upped.  A brother of over 25 years, a solid Christian, whose weaknesses I thought I knew all of - apparently is slipping sideways.  His wife is going to kill him.

So young man was surprised to learn that there are no girlie magazines in my house and I really do not approve of such!  I think his mind hick-upped at that point!

It is not hard to notice that he is so filled with anger and rage.  Am I beginning to see the effect of sin within his family?  It breaks my heart but tells me what I must be praying for and about.

I have long suspected that the spiritual welfare of a family is directly related to the strength of the father.  Father fails - family fails.  Father can walk the talk - family has a chance of success.  Of course our children can choose to do right or to do wrong even without any outside input.

When my kids chose wrong - is it because I have chosen wrong?  Is it something in my life that headed them the wrong way?  Well, I hope to learn the answer to that question one day.  And I really hope the answer is no, I would like to know that I did the best I could....

No comments: