Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wiener Blut

I was sniffing around YouTube for what would be my musical pick for the first Saturday of August and of course I got sidetracked.  What else is new, eh?  So, in reviewing 1980's videos I fell into my love for Falco trap - again.  And, in watching his videos I got to thinking.  Actually, quite a few things on Sunday made me think, as you will be learning from postings this week.....

The video which got me to think was Wiener Blut, no don't rush off and view this - it is almost utter nonsense.  The idea is old, think of the waltz and operetta by Johann Strauss II, the song by Falco and also done by Rammstein.

Viennese Blood - what drives the glitter, fame and draw of Vienna (which is nonsense to me, as I find the city to have NOTHING to attract me).  But, what if that question is used as a condemnation?  And in a way, this was sort of in Falco's video.....  Think of some of Vienna's not so glamorous history.

In my lifetime there has been the Soviet occupation and of course Vienna being the doorway into the Eastern Bloc countries during the Cool War.  In my father's lifetime has been its cosiness with the Nazi Party and providing the world with the likes of Adolf Hitler, Arnold Schwarzenegger and less we forget - Kurt Waldheim.  Yeah, I hold a real grudge against all things fascist.

But carry the idea further:  the responsibility of a nation for its actions.  Austria certainly has not been outstanding in the past century, Germany even worse.  But, lets take a view of this century so far, not a whole to write home about, very few bright points to see and say, "Wow, that was a great decision or action they took!"  But, then again, this century has had a bit on the dark side - so far!

It is as though, were nations accountable for the blood they shed, everyone wants to bathe in it!

This culture has gone insane.....  Human life appears to hold no value any longer or at least its value is no longer understood!  And so when I think of Wiener Blut, the thought of a nation being responsible for the blood they shed, then  Revelation 18 suddenly becomes very understandable!

Only where to where will you run ...... ?

No comments: