Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What Goes Up

Well, since nothing is public in the news, as of yet (and it has been 1.5 hours!), there is little I can say which would not break confidentiality with my hosts.

Other than to say, that what was expected to be a news shattering day and very exciting, swiftly came to an end.

We all sat in disbelief.  Only moments earlier people were dancing and cheering as a technological wonder roared for the third time and into a real life experiment.

And then it all came apart.

I almost cried for my friends, also gathered for this event.  They worked hard, pushed the boundaries, creating an honest to gosh technological marvel in the process.

I think I know what happened but the FAA, NTSB and scientists will be combing the desert for the rest of this week I am sure.  Then will come the weeks of analysis.  If I am not right, I will be surprised.  Sometimes leaping across technology boundaries brings too many variables for failure into play.  Which is why we improve one item, test, then add another, test again, etc.  One hundred percent innovation usually will bring 100% failure.

No comments: