Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shades of Gray

During a sleepless night over the weekend, I had plenty of time to think.  I am not sure why I do not sleep well on weekends - it is not like I have employment or anything.  Very odd.

Anyways, I got to thinking about something one of the college young men and I had been discussing: women and shades of grade.  You see, I am a very black and white kind of person.  Something is right or it is wrong.  It is just that simple.  Most guys I have spoken with would agree with me.  But, Gaelic Girl, as with most women I have known, are very much in a 1,000 color spread of shades of gray!  I just have allocated this to being a "girl thing".  And it drives me crazy!

I learned years ago that some issues just were not worth discussing if GG's reply was in the realm of "gray".  This is not to say that GG is ethics or morality challenged - quite the opposite!  But, where I see a Black issue - she is seeing Gray482.....

So as I lay on my lumpy pillows thinking, I suddenly got an inspiration!  It might not be an issue of grays but in compassion.  Yeah, most of the issues are much issues of varying levels of compassion.  So she might council me to be less black and white with son, but then it may well be because she has more compassion than I over his "issues".  She is willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, no matter their history.  Whereas, I am willing to deep six someone for violating my trust at the first occurrence.

Hmmmmm.

I think I am right that the world is a black and white place, and seeing shades of grade concerning most issues will lead you straight into sin and compromising you faith.  But, if God can look past my "gray issues" to see "white" (due to Jesus' paint job on me!), then I guess maybe I need to be a little more compassionate with others.

I guess I can give son a few more yards of rope to hang himself with.  But, I tell ya, it is killing my blood pressure to even be around him any longer.....

No comments: