Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Heavens Above

Father was a theoretical mathematician and part of his early work had been on the V-3 rocket, I can remember him regaling me with stories of its design, purpose and rather odd "disappearance".  How he filled my youthful head with tales of the stars and the ships which would one day take us there.  But, once I was in school, those days stopped, as did the tales.  I remembered those times fondly though.

I can remember father tuning in Sputnik on the radio and hearing the beeps it made.  Father was at Sandia Labs at the time and I can still feel the coolness of the evening air, huddled on his lap as he pointed to the white light of a star as it moved across the night sky.  His words were filled with marvel at what he knew his friends, now slave labor in Russia, had created.

Whom could not watch with wonder the news of the Russian space achievements in the 1950's and early 1960's.  I remember the somber discussions over Russia preceding the US at every turn in the space race and the news of the disaster which consumed the Russian space program - killing most of those whom had brought such success.  Listening  to the song, "The River is Yellow" from China's first satellite.  Those were the days my friend.

Into this mix, Wernher Von Braun's many social visits with the family.  But, who cared by then?  I was a teenager and Margrit, his daughter a few years older than me, was simply fascinating!  She and I had one commonality, we both had FBI babysitters as we grew up and so would share tales of how to drive those poor guys utterly mad!  I imagine she really did not even know I was alive - just that other German's annoying kid.  Sigh.

I worked in aerospace for three decades because of my love for space - not necessarily contributing anything as great as father had, but I like to think my computer innovations supporting the Saturn rocket program helped in some small way.  Like father though, just slave labor, whom will not even score a footnote in history.  (Ok, unlike father, I got paid.  But it still felt like slave labor at times!)

And my love for space is not at all diminished by no longer working.  I have my movies and books, and friends still working to leap frog us into the heavens above.....

Good Times.

No comments: