Monday, June 17, 2013

Sun Dog

I went to the carnival on Saturday and it was a really great time, however, I will tell you about that tomorrow.  Today I want to tell you about something we do not get here in the Seattle area - a sun dog!

The last time I had seen one was in Alaska in 2003, when my father had a stroke and I had to fly to Fairbanks and drive him to my sister in Minneapolis in order for him to get the surgery he needed.  Two weeks in hell for him!  (Just think Nazi trapped with a very mouthy evangelical with nothing to lose in the relationship!  LOL)

And here in Seattle on an almost summer day, we have so many ice crystals in the air that a sun dog forms in the sky over us!




Notice that in the second picture there were actually two rings around the sun!  In Alaska one day I saw five rings one day.  I like cool phenomena in nature .....

So something certainly rare in this area....

No comments: