Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Is This Justice?

Otto Eichmann, one of the designers of the holocaust, escaped Nuremberg trial by moving to Argentina and remained there until captured by an Israeli group, hustled off to Israel to stand trial and eventual execution for crimes against humanity.  It was 1962 and as I struggled as a seven year old to read the newspaper accounts, I really was thinking about my great-uncle.  What if this was him?  How would I feel to have one of my family ripped away and murdered......  Yeah, I was a precocious 7 year old.

I had no idea what a Jew was, did not know that my father actually was one, nor that my mother was - genetically anyway, but I went to my father and demanded an explanation for this whole holocaust deal.  He was old German, I expected an answer and he was honor bound to give one.  I anticipated he would lie about anything which would point to him, because I already understood that my father was a liar.

At the beginning of grade seven, even though I was in Canadian NATO schools, I was still forced to tour a concentration camp.  There is nothing un-appalling about one, but I was not like my German peers, I pushed back and demanded explanations for each and every statement made.  Yeah, I learned a great deal, between the beatings from the older Germans.  Towards the end of the day, an elderly man came up to me and sat by me as I cried in anger at the justice being denied me.  He explained the problem of "history" and history.

As I grew older, I came to understand this elderly man's opinion even more and to see how right he really was.  We have what is politically correct to know and then what is politically incorrect to know.  Being correct does not equal right nor true, it equals acceptance by society.

Kurt Mathesius, was a family friend - before my time, and commandant of Nordhausen.  My uncle was violent in his reactions when you mentioned the Nuremburg trials or that fact that he was accused of murdering 300 prisoners.  The same prisones whom were photographed being dug out of the rubble when the Allied bombers flattened Nordhausen thinking it an ammo dump.  Yeah, he was innocent and his association with  Nordhausen' scientist camp, was considered the entire Nordhausen complex.  So facing a death, he hung himself in his cell.  My uncle was livid.  How could a prisoner, stripped of almost everything, hang himself?  He believed this just another Eisenhower move to kill Germans without trial.  Yeah, my uncle was vocal and history has show he was correct, however, "history" clearly shows he is wrong....  Get the picture now?  As for truth, uncle's brother was one of 15 guards charged in that complaint and remains at large.  No even when my uncle died a few years ago, he still had no idea where his brother was.

The Dutch women, captured in Holland in the 1980's, were all over the press when I moved my work to Europe.  Imagine, there were a small group of Dutch women, accused of siding with the Germans during the war and of course, people they turned in, never came back. Oh were both sides of the press arguing that one!  Do you prosecute a group of grandmothers, whom have lived exemplary lives for 40 years or do you mow them down for what happened when the world turned upside down?  But, if you don't - then how do you deal with Anne Frank, patron saint of Amsterdam?

Anita Bryant was crucified in the press for her stand against the gay agenda in the 1970's.  Well, she was not wrong then, she is still not wrong today and in fact all she predicted has come to pass.  Yet, what she said was politically incorrect in the 1970's, she was even outright rude in my book, but the agenda is even worse too day!  And like so many others, she was tossed upon the waste can of history for not being relevant, espousing an ideal as old as the Bible itself in virtually all cultures.  Of course, the entire issue really deals with sexual sin and this is lost in her argument.  I stopped drinking orange juice for decades as my protest against the state of Florida and its banning of Bryant.  No, I did not like her, and no one was forced to listen to her viewpoint either, but a state of this Union decided to shut her up because about 1.7% of the population announced a boycott.  Yawn.....

And today, another person I do not care a wit about, Paula Deen, is being attacked for having actually lived in a racial and bigoted south.  She even used the "N" word, though could not give an example.  Her real crime was attempting to throw a birthday party based upon the old south plantation system and wanting to hire color waiters.  Oh wait!  She was gong to pay them?  They really were not going to be slaves there?  Gees, America, grow up!  As I said, I have no use for her and as a celebrity "chef", she isn't.  Might be a good cook though....  Don't know, don't care, but again the populous destruction of someone based upon vague rumors and to silence them.  She will probably become the patron saint of Mississippi now.  Sigh...

And what of my father?  He, along with some 10,500 other German scientists, were politely excused of their pasts in order to gain the lead in the nuclear Cold War and entry into the rocket age.  Should he have been executed or jailed for life for helping to invent the Godzilla of all weapons of mass destruction?  I can not answer that question; he is my father and even if I never could have loved him, I did respect him.

Is the justice we are looking at today really just revenge under the guise of political correctness?

Y'all gotta wonder.....

No comments: