Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Jealousy

Sunday morning, it happened again, now twice in my life I was brought up during a communion message ...

An ex-old friend was giving the message and he selected an occurrence from over 30 years ago, from when he was building a house.

We were at the point where it was time to shingle the roof.  Unfortunately, the roof was very steep pitched and he was hot to get started.  When he called telling he was ready to start, I told him to wait until morning and I would be over with my mountain climbing gear to rig the roof.  But he is a little hard headed.

So, alone, he went up on the roof, no ropes, no knowledge and just as suddenly - he flew 27 feet straight down on to his concrete driveway below.  His wife told me she was sewing when she heard this squishy splat outside and she realized that her husband was not moving around the house!  She looked out one of the windows, saw him face down, grabbed her camera and ran outside.  Shooting several photos, she then checked for breathing and called me.

I drove over loaded him in my 1972 Pinto station-wagon and headed for the local ER.  Would you believe that with a fall of what was three times higher than what has killed many of my other friends, he only broke a half inch bone in his wrist!!!!!

So next morning, I have the roof rigged and his wife is madder than hades up there with me - because he cast arm will not allow him to do any roofing and it would be up to the two of us to do one HUGE roof!

So, I am looping the rope around her waist, reaching between her legs to bring the other strap through and he comes up the ladder with a load of shingles and completely loses it!  I looked at him and said, "Really?  You have really got a problem if you are jealous of me!"

Which then led to the subject of God being jealous of His Church for the communion meditation.

But, the church had a great laugh as they have gotten accustomed to my clueless antics pretty well across the past five years ...

After church all of these little old ladies lined up in front me all demanding their fair share of hugs!  In retrospect it was quite funny, but at the moment I was a little irritated because given the nature of gossip - i do not need more started about what I am not.
:)

No comments: