Saturday, April 19, 2014

Musical Saturday Morning

Sort of in an odd mood.  At one of those points in life where faith demands that a choice s be made, that I make that first step.  And the brain screams, "You are so stupid!"  Yet my heart tells me what is right, with no evidence what so ever.  And even if I am right, that does not mean all will go well.  Other people still have their free will choices to make and based upon that, then I am just a pawn wondering what God is going to do now.

It was 1967 and I was on the school bus from my little pig raising community traveling to Landstuhl where I attended school.  A song came on the radio station in K-town and everyone just hushed.  We had never heard an electric chord organ before and the song was an instant hit, at least in Germany.

The group was called the Trogs, seems I remember them as being out of McAllen, Texas.  Knox, one of my NATO friends told me about them, that was where he went to school before coming to Germany.  What can you say about the Trogs?  Texan, druggies, could not play a tune straight if they had to.  I heard an interview once where they talked about how stoned they were doing, Ain't Got Nothing Yet, and finally just had to go with what they had for the record.  They kept dropping their picks!

Nowhere near as popular, at least in Germany was this tune, but fitting with my odd mood this morning.



When we moved to Denver in 1970, I was listening to the local radio station and they were having a record contest.  If you could guess the song, you got the record.  At the first note, a long electric organ note, I instantly knew what it was and dialed in!  I won, Ain't Got Nothing Yet!

My only win ever outside of a plastic parrot at the Paris USO in a bingo game ...

No comments: