Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Weather

Quite a rainstorm we have had!  Tons of rain and I saw this morning that the Green River is just a few feet short of flood, as usual.  I laughed thinking that the State went to all of the expense to add a six foot height to the levies through the Green Valley two years ago when the dam threaten to fail, then to remove the added height to restore the trail on the top of the levies this past summer!  Only to now flood three months later.  LOL!

Of course the East Coast has gotten clobbered.  No one seems to remember that hurricanes are not uncommon, even in the NE of the US.  Every year more and more hype stressing how this has never happened.  I seem to remember a hurricane in 1969, the year I arrived in this country doing just what has occurred - I was stuck on Cape Hatteras at that one.  Sigh.....

But, the loss of the HMS Bounty was very sad.

My father was working at Lawrence Livermore Labs in 1961 and the government had us kids stashed in Oregon at the time.  I was out at Garibaldi, when the Bounty was brought in with a broken mast.  They were filming the movie Mutiny on the Bounty and wanted some of the storms and waves off of Oregon for the movie.  So, I had days of fun crawling all over that ship and learning about wooden ships and sails.   I even had to be rescued because in the poor lighting of the hold, I went right down the bilge hole! It was one of the best weeks of my life!  Kudo's to the Coast Guard Captain and the crew of that time.

Of course, there were no movie stars or anything, but still it was a fond memory.  So, with personal sadness that a ship whose deck I walked is now at the bottom of the cold Atlantic.....

No comments: