Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Open To Suggestions

So my dear readers, it has now been two weeks this was put on my to blog list, however the excitement of my life just does not allow me the freedom to post what I want at a given time.  This past month has been an incredible growth period for me, pieces of which have appeared in other blog posts.  For me, I have found peace for the first time since June - assured that God is hearing my prayers and in His quiet way preparing the way for the prodigal to return.  At the same time, this afternoon, God has laid on my heart that perhaps that way will not be as pleasant as it could be.  Is He preparing me for his abandonment of my daughter so that she may reap the whirlwind, before looking up and understands where she is supposed to be?  For my daughter's sake I hope not.  Conversely, the same knowledge could mean that the November 22 vision is about to come into play - and that makes me physically ill.  No, you really do not want to know the price of that one.....

But! what I started out to blog is about a discussion I had with the pastors several weeks ago now.  I have worked in youth ministry since 1974, a few breaks here and there, but mostly straight through.  Comparing a 1970s youth group to what exists today is to attempt to compare a fine wine with Dr. Pepper.  Yeah, not even in the same arena, and I had three heroin addicts to deal with in that first year, as well as two suicides.  Horrible but much better than what exists today!

And the conversation rolled around the topic of why.  Why are youth so challenged?  Why are youth ministries actually failing - when results are expected and actually little is to be found, even amongst the solid church families.  At church, in Bible studies, at youth groups, totally awesome kids - walk out the door and a train wreck in real life.  Just as an example: a family I know of what seem solid parents and everyone of the children have substance abuse problems, oh heck, flat out addictions!  Kids are great actors these days.

Then the conversation began to narrow as hour three approached.  Everything we had been discussing revolved around controlling behavior and the kids were great at that, as long as someone in authority was watching!  Blink your eyes and the Bohemians have appeared!

Yeah, I am now convinced, three weeks later that the key lay within the idea of creating character in our youth.  Just a part of which to create integrity - to control them when the eyes of authority is not around......

Now, how to create this with one hour a week exposure to the church activities?  Do not think it impossible, it was done in the very first Sunday Schools, in Glasgow, Scotland in the 18th century.  They were able to take street urchins, uneducated ones at that, and create men and women of character out or them.  So, it can be done.   But, what was the secret?  Where do I start?

That is the goal for this next year to rediscover the secret of!

No comments: