Wednesday, June 8, 2011

First and Last Lessons

When I was selected to become a youth pastor by my uncle's church, you have to understand that I was a brand new Christian and had absolutely NO business in such a position of authority.  Yeah, that nagging lesson concerning DISCERNMENT i keep harping about.  But, then again no one wanted to take on 165 high schoolers!

Now Bill Bright had come out with a 10 lesson study called, Transferable Concepts, and I had gone through those classes as part of my discipleship.  It seemed a good choice for someone so young in the faith.

Now earlier this year I was wondering what to do with my little study group on Sunday mornings.  And, as I was digging through old studies, I found my original notes from 1974!  I thought, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I had also taught this series in 1976, with the source materials having been out of publication by then.  So, I called up Mr. Bright and asked his permission to xerox the booklets so I could do the class and he thought that was a great idea.  Leave it to a German to call an author and ask to pirate his material, eh?  But, he was one cool guy and we had many long distance conversations through the years!

Today, his material is out of print, however his wife has put up the Transferable Concepts on the internet!  They are not the whole booklet for each class, just the meat and potatoes of the classes.  The series of 10 PDF files maybe found at:

http://crupress.campuscrusadeforchrist.com/green/index.php/resources/transferable_concepts
   
Having just completely this series again with a group of youth, it went well.  The materials are a little dated as one might mistake his teaching to be on the prosperity heresy - which did not even exist back then! So, a few points have to be explained in the context of the church as it existed in the 1960's and early 1970's.

Those whom participated, learned the most and I think enjoyed not only the basics as review but also chewy ideas to come from our discussion.

About 60 to 90 minutes per class, with donuts and much levity......
:^")

No comments: