Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day

This is one of those remembrance days which I have real trouble over.  In coming to this country, when I was 14, I can remember taking my father out for pizza at Shakeys in South Carolina.  He was always pleased, but not so when I was older.  In fact, he made a point of returning every father's day card or gift, either burned or shredded.  Yeah, life is a like that and a little rougher when you are the family idiot apparently.

My lawyer's wife I will blame for setting my kids up to father's day.  No, it is not a German, much less a Swiss, custom but no one would deny "Ayesha" a chance to celebrate most anything!  As the kids grew older she let them take charge of the day and when we all moved, I sincerely doubt she had any input any longer.

So today, oldest daughter met me at church with grandkids in tow.  Number two daughter texted me a happy FD and we ought to do lunch sometime.  Youngest daughter made me a German Chocolate Cake and son avoided the whole issue and took off with his girlfriend right after church.  I took those remaining to Red Robin for burgers and then I took off to see an old car show, which no one else was interested in.  Though did see son just briefly as he spied me with a strawberry shortcake walking down the rows of cars and hinted at how he wanted one.  (B-I-T-E-M-E.)

As a day it was quiet, no one at home save for me and some old movies I had not watched yet.  My adoptive Christian father called to wish me HFD, which I returned.  Italian Missionary Girl called and it is always delightful to talk with her - and her mother also called me which was sort of unexpected!  I called my Tucson friend to let him know I have long valued his friendship and input - he has been a great influence in my life.  Then came the odd calls: lawyer's wife in tears, Gaelic Girls little sister in tears, etc, etc.  I need to get a phone produced by Kleenex I think.

But best part of father's day is that GG will be up here on opening day for Cowboys and Aliens (7/29!), and I get a free dinner out too!

WooHoo!

No comments: