Monday, January 20, 2014

Time Travel

I love movies, books and stories about time travel - they are fun and completely entertaining because it is not possible!  But, the question was asked Thursday of me, where would you go?

"Where would you go, Kris, if you could time travel?"

What a question!  And I considered this carefully, for real, for the first time in my life ...  Forwards?  Backwards?  See Jesus in action?  What would I do?  Stop the Lincoln assassination, put a pillow over baby Adolf's face, return fully armed and splatter my cousin's killer the day before he murdered Bernard, physically (beat the tar out of) my father to show him the error of his ways the night he ran away from home to join the Nazi movement?   So many possibilities ...

Yes, historically, there are many possibilities to observe or to change so that evil would not win the day.  But, assuming that God is in control and nothing actually can be changed because His determinative will, then His will always come to pass - so then that leaves what would Kris do seeing or warning younger Kris of in the past?

That was not an easy question.  I am whom I am today because of where I have been and what I have been through.  I might not do something or chose to do it differently, but ultimately that would require a different Kris.  I could warn me against trusting females, that would have saved some unaccounted years of anger, pain and zillions of tears of frustration.  I could tell me about what lay ahead, but would I even listen?

The old Kris would have a problem viewing this shell as him that exists today.  He would not listen because the changes to form this new Kris are impossible!  God is not known to have ever worked this way, old or new testament!  Old Kris would have known it all and blown off new Kris.  Not a nice thing to realize about yourself - you were an utter dolt, unfortunately a dolt that was more right than wrong, so I got a way with it!

In the end of all of the mental exercises put through over this idea, I came to the realization that if I was not whom I was, last year would not have been, the New Kris would not now exist - and I would not trade moments of last year for anything.

But, I might tell Old Kris that some medical anomalies he noted had long term affects, only I now know about.  I might have to take a brick or two back into the past with me just to make me listen ...

No comments: