Saturday, January 18, 2014

Musical Saturday Morning

Songs like: School's Out, 18, No More Mr. Nice Guy all defined us as troubled teenagers of the early 1970's.  18, may be one of the best song ever to portray the teenage mind and problems, at least it was my mindset.  Numerous other songs of his are still troubling because Vincent looked at a very dark side of life.  Billion Dollar Babies, Poison, Halo of Flies - I think they are all incredible (and no I am not recommending them!).  And his lyrics always literal, always beyond face value, had a message if you were willing to find it.

Just as a "For Your Information", at one point I knew him personally, he was already famous and slowing down.  He was a quandary to me - his public appearance was not his private life - it was all show.  I liked him because there was no hidden anything about him - what you see is what you got.  At that point an alcoholic trying to kill his pain.  So it did not take much to understand that this song is about his father (a pastor), his church as a child and his own youthful struggles ...  I understood all too well.




Several years ago, I was back in the southwest doing something or another and just for laughs wondered if he even remembered me.  He often was off at golf tournaments, hobnobbing with the rich and famous you know.  But, it seems someone had become a Christian and was away at church.  I was stunned!  Vincent Christian?!?!? And then I rejoiced.  He had some mighty hard feeling for his father and Christianity.  Guess God got to him.  I never could have thought it possible!  God is awesome ...  :)  And now he was a father, patched things up with his wife and just AWESOME!

Last year he did a concert in Germany I was able to watch.  Yeah, the songs were all there, words had deviated a bit to fit with where he is in life now.  And I am looking at him and thinking, okay, this guy is 7 years older than me and he looks so much like my mother it was freaking me out!  I am not sure what that means ...  maybe mother uses too much eye shadow?

No comments: