Thursday, January 9, 2014

Digging In Historical Secrets

My adventure to find out whom my father really was/is began in 1984.  I was moving and had some old boxes I had never been through and honestly I thought of just throwing them await.  A letter fell out of the bottom of one of them and it was from my father's mother.  I was stunned.  She was dead, how could she have written?  Then I saw that it was dated 1968, it was a birthday card for my 13th birthday and my father had thrown it away, but it seems mother had saved it secretly, she just never thought I would find it.

I wrote a letter to my unknown grandmother, and nothing ...
So, I talked with my sister and we wrote out everything we knew about our father, every story, every piece of a comment we could remember.  And and then I set out to sequence and locate the history behind those stories.
I filed with the US Immigration and Naturalization Service for a copy of father's original paperwork.
I wrote the Red Cross in Germany, asking for their help and verifying his stories about being from what is now Poland.
I wrote the Canadian and British War Time Archivists for copies of manifests for the camp father had said he was held in after the war.

It was all I could do, the internet did not exist as a tool to search for such information back then.  And, I waited.

The US Immigration and Naturalization Service responded almost instantly with a letter refusing me access to his paperwork and suggesting that any further attempts would result in my US citizenship being revoked.

For one and a half years my phone was tapped, my mail searched, we found a listening device had been drilled into the side of my new house!  A major storm had ripped off the bad job of covering it up.

I went to the police and the Postal Inspector, showed them what I had and they both commented I had apparently pissed off someone in spy land.

I received calls from both of my parents, they had been "visited" and interviewed by the US NSA, first I had ever heard of them!  Mother thought it funny, father was furious.

The Canadians and British politely declined to provide the requested information, but did offer to allow me to search their records personally after 20 more years had passed.

The Red Cross provided me with all I needed to know that father was not from what is now Poland.

My letter to my grandmother was returned; no such person or address.

I received a letter from the Swiss government offering  to meet with me, as they too had a strong interest in finding my father.  And, they learned that one how?

 I sat and review what I knew: father was not whom he claimed to be, the Swiss tale appeared to be a dead end and something in the spy community had been awakened by simple questions. 

My conclusion?  Father was a Russian mole - and I became very quiet on the subject.

But, there was a problem with the Swiss dead end, I had a picture of his sister, and she was a dead ringer for my sister facially.  Interesting.

No comments: