Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Doing Some Dirty Work

Yesterday's post on humility, made me think some on the preceding verses and the whole concept of Service.  This year has certainly been a time for me to rethink almost all I know of God: what is service, how does God work, what does it mean to obey, what does it mean to be a servant, indeed - what next Lord?

One evening daughter looked up to me and asked, "If God gave you the total view of all things me, then how can you ....."

If we are honest, even with just ourselves, we all have to wonder at how anyone, much less God, can see us through the eyes of love.  At least I think that way about myself.  There seems to be a disconnect between what our perception of God is and what the perception of our nature is.  Is this concept wrong?  Have we collectively misled ourselves?  I wonder.....

John 13:1-5

The main idea is that we are to Serve One Another.  We are supposed to create and promote a culture of service!

We are to serve because of whom we are.  Not sure whom you are?  You might find a few hints in Ephesians 1.
We have no need to impress anyone with our service.  You are free to serve, free to do every dirty job there is, free to know that you are a servant!  That is your identity with Jesus.

There is no such thing as retiring from being a servant!
You are called to work as a servant to all, for your life-time!
There is no quiting, there is no giving up.
Service is to be your expression of love.

Do not make a production of it!
Jesus caused embarrassment on the part of the Apostles.  This was not the "master's" role or duties!
There was no announcement on Jesus' part, no call for attention, no focus at all on his actions.

Serve other, no matter what they have done to you!
Remember Judas was in that crowd and got his feet washed too!  Jesus didn't skip him and comment on his betrayal.  He knew of the betrayal, but Jesus still loved him, Jesus even served the enemy - and they both knew it.

Point?

Live the Kingdom Life, serving all without reservation - in love.

And that is the point I was leading up to: God loves you sufficiently to see you, whom you really are, and still love you.  He even loves me and I guarantee I have failed far more than you ever dreamt.  God's love, real love, sees all, knows all, and still does not condemn.  No, I would not guess at understanding such love, it is terrifying in nature, yet it is what God extends to each and everyone of us....

No comments: