Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Buchardt Gardens

So, your right foot is blown out, you can barely stand, what ya gonna do!?  Go for a visit to a garden with miles of trails, thousands of stairs and people prone to kicking your crutches!  Oh yeah, bad idea.

But, the gardens were lovely as usual.  Lots of humming birds visited with me at my frequent stops where I was occupied icing down my foot.  Lots of strange looks - but then again, women opened doors for me!  Without the injury I know for a fact none of them would have even cast me a second look.  I actually tested that hypothesis once just to see and sure enough - man on crutch gets talked to, doors opened for him, etc.  Guess without a motherly instinct, Kris is indeed invisible ... LOL!

Now why bring up this boring post?  Because I have a travel tip for you!  I looked at booking this jaunt to the gardens through the online travel agent, had another opportunity to do so through the Victoria Clipper, again through my hotel and even checked with the visitor's bureau on the waterfront - they were all basically the same: $30 for the bus fare, $34-37 for the admission ticket.

Actually cost!  (drum roll please!)

Riding the BC Transit bus number 75 - $5 round trip
Admission to the gardens: $29  full adult fare

Ok, so I or you can easily save $30 just by catching a public bus and not have someone else handle your tickets for you!

Also there is a high tea at the gardens, $28 - however, everyone was pre-booking at $29.50-34 per person.  But, it was not worth the price.  Crowded seating, a few dainties, some sweets and tons of noise.  The Empress was more pricey but a better deal concerning room and noise levels.  Foodwise, slightly better.

No comments: