Saturday, March 12, 2011

Then There Were Two

This morning brought the unwelcomed news of the death of my Swiss uncle.  I only had three relatives left alive back home as it was, now it is down to two.

He was the youngest of my relatives and I figured I had plenty of time to visit with him, just as soon as my finances straightened out - alas, his time was up at only 64 years of age.

He lead a very hard life.  Many hospitalizations due to a head injury in the army, the execution of his son in the Bosnian War, the death of one daughter in a car accident right after this and then the suicide of his other daughter following the death of her sister.  Then his wife left him.  Yeah, talk about being sucker punched by life.

But, he was always upbeat with me and I marveled at his ability to overcome.  I am not sure how I will ever handle the death of one of my children.....

Suddenly, I am finding myself feeling very empty.

No comments: