Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan, Science, Love and You

I have been watching all of the news feeds and videos from Japan, and it is appalling what one sees (and you probably do not understand).

Radiation workers with a paper face mask and TVEK outerwear, no idea what this is supposed to protect anyone from.  Certainly not the radiation the workers where looking for with their detectors.  Was there radiation?  Heck yes!  You can not blow the top of your reactor off due to a hydrogen explosion without the release of both ionized hydrogen and cesium.  Yet, the news reports that there are only low levels of contamination!  Call that one politically correct reporting in a land soon to watch the survivors all dead from various forms of cancer - probably all within statistical norms, especially if they doctor the statistics now.  Sigh.  Probably eating Japanese shellfish is a bad idea for the next 495 years.....

I have been struck at how you can have 13 diesel generators to act as back ups for the electrical supply to drive cooling pumps, to be used for emergencies, and yet your generators are not battery started!  This one is not rocket science!  But it shows the arrogance and lack of foresight by an industry more concerned with construction and less with "what if's".  I wonder now how many of America's reactors back up generators are battery and not line fed?  I wonder about back home now, how smart were those designers?

Certainly the tsunami videos have been impressive to watch.  Just consider the amount of pollution this is going to be washing back out to sea!  We are talking big time contamination to the shellfish and fish for quite some distance out to sea!  That anyone survived those waves is amazing - yeah, I know, God's providence.

And thinking of God's providence, I am appalled at the amount of stupid American Christians out there!  I have seen so many comments on YouTube and else where concerning this event - how it was God's condemnation against the Japanese, how it is the end times and they had it coming, etc, etc, etc!

Which lead me to 1 John 4 this past Sunday with my guys.  The whole point of this chapter is LOVE for our brothers and sisters in the faith - as well as - LOVE for those whom are not.  In the Roman era, the ancient writers held the Christians on one hand as being an abomination due their lack of worship for the Emperor and the gods.  On the other hand, these Christians whom they persecuted were the very same ones whom came to their (Roman) aid in times of flood and famine!  That is the LOVE we are to show the world - the LOVE that overcomes prejudice and wrongs done to us by even the world which seeks to destroy our faith.

On a personal note, in 1994 I got to play host to a young Japanese exchange student named Yuskae, whom had gotten in a bit of trouble.  The Japanese consulate contracted me to sponsor him, as they had run out of resources and had been told of my work with troubled youth.  We had a great time together and outside of having to discipline him once, he was a dream teenager.  I am sure his parents were astounded at the young man they got back!  (Papa, momma, I am so sorry!  Those Germans made me understand how much I really missed you!)  Unfortunately, he was from the town of Yamada, one of the towns completely destroyed by the tsunami.  I pray he and his family are still alive - but in my heart I know there was little way they could have survived what happened there.

Let your prayers this week be not only for the survivors of this series of continuing events in Japan, but also to have God work in your heart to reach out to those in need with HIS LOVE, not only where tragiety has struck but in your community as well.....

No comments: