Thursday, March 17, 2011

Politically Incorrect - Again!

I have been incredibly busy this week, dodging GG, while getting a few car things done, some cleaning, lots of job hunting, etc!  I tell you I feel like a sandwich at a Magpie Convention!

I am so sick of listening to the radio though this week though!  I tell you all of these "experts" the talking heads have on to discuss the nuclear situation in Japan makes me want to slam my head into a wall!  I am sorry but if this is the best the US colleges can generate - we are indeed in bad shape!  I have heard some of the worse descriptions of how a nuclear power plant operates, how much danger there is to expect from the situation, as well as long term problems.  As a group these idiots are without an exception - utterly clueless!  And mind you, I am only the son of an atomic pioneer - never a part of the industry!  Maybe I with no college degree at all should be a talking head on this issue!?!

History Lesson Time:

When the US did the Bikini Island and Bimini Island tests, we are talking 1950/1960 time frame, there was lots of continental US testing done to investigate the issue of downwind radiation hitting us.

Detectors were used along the Cascade Mountain range to check for fallout.  Ice samples were taken and tested as well.  Rain water, reservoir water, city taps, fish guts - all were tested!  Net result?  Yeah, it was there but in such low of concentrations as to be easily ignorable.

Okay, but we really want to find radioactivity concentrated in amounts that might be harmful - so where are you going to look?  How about he dairy industry?  Yeah, milk, cheese, ice cream were are heavily tested for months from west coast dairies.  And, again, yes there was a documented increase in the levels of radiation - however, again of no importance.  Thank heavens for that because that meant all that ice cream had to have an eater and my sister and I did our very best to rid this country of that slightly 'hot' ice cream!

So, where are we in this Japanese disaster?  Nowhere actually.  Yes, some of it may make it to the continental US, yes, there may even be traceable amount of increase.  But, just like in the 1950/1960 time frame, we are not going to see something to run amok in the streets over.....

There, feel better now?

No comments: