Saturday, November 9, 2013

Musical Saturday Morning

Well, I am sorry but what I was in the mood to post for this morning was not available in a decent Youtube version, so I had to scratch my head and go with something non-1980-ish!  But, hold on it is an interesting song.

So, it was 1967, if I am remembering right, I remember hearing this song on my bus to school one morning.  It was a riddle, it just did not make sense and so we worked hard trying to ferret out its real meaning.  But, in Germany we just were not "hip" enough to really come away with any meaning that screamed, "You got it!".

And, I have to add that I get a little freaky when I hear a song from a group that is mostly dead.  Just too weird to imagine such talent wasted and gone ...  Thank you 1960's drug culture.



Three years later, I was in high school in Denver, I managed to get a chance to actually ask the question of one of them.  Needless to say, I was completely crushed to learn that the song actually was all about the drug trade in California - replete with lots of slang to throw the "squares" off.  "Squares", just like us hip German teenagers I guess.

No comments: