Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Today Is The Day

So, today is the day son gets his marching orders.  I am really not looking forward to this!  If I am lucky I will not see him until this afternoon.  With his sister's around the house and Gaelic Girl coming in for Youngest Daughter's pastry testing, he will be sufficently out numbered to not try and do something too stupid.  I hope and pray anyway.

It is just so frustrating how he has slipped so far from where he was even a year ago.  I found him barely tolerable then - but I really thought he could turn around and make a start of growing up.  Instead, I seem to have a 13 year old in a 19 year old body!  I have been dumbfounded by his complete rejection of everything I have offered to help him with.  If I tell him 'A' is the way to go, he will go every way except 'A' and then publicly condemn me not only for his choices but also for the repercussions of not having done whatever 'A' was!

I remember being 19 tremendously well - I had just become a Christian and was growing by leaps and bounds in my new faith, while carrying a double college load and working to pay for that schooling.  Oh, yeah, I made PLENTY of mistakes, some even as dumb as my son has managed over the past year.  But, I had Godly young men surrounding me - Dutchman and Swede being the two closest and still dear brothers.  We bailed each other out quite a bit back then as now.  But, son has chosen poorly in ALL of his friends and now sits very far from God - by choice.  Man does he have a rude awakening coming!

Of course my growth was based completely on the act of my parents chucking me out at high school diploma + one day.  My father wanted me in the military but I honestly wanted to avoid any further military life (18 years at that point!).  So, I headed to my favorite uncle's to help him build a house, got accepted into a great computer program and stumbled my way towards a diploma.

Maybe my parents were right on that one point, sending me out at 18 forced a deal of change upon me.  Yeah, the military would have been the easiest way for me to have gone, in the adjustment of becoming an adult, but were it not for the long suffering witness of Debby Kræmer in my life, the story could have been tremendously different.....

Your prayers are greatly sought today.

No comments: