Monday, February 3, 2014

Another Antique Show

So another antique show is complete and a part of history now.  OMG!  It was horrible.

Whom would have ever thought that the Seattle Seahawks could make it to the Superbowl - and on the weekend of the show!!!!!  What if they held a show and virtually no one came?  That was the reality of the show however.  Sigh ...

So lots of free time for people watching!

Across the last several years of helping my mother at these shows, I have come to know several of the regulars.  I know I have commented at least once about the broken young woman whom comes and always rushes away whenever sees me.  I can read her and either she or what drives her knows it.  Last year if I spoke to her she would freeze up, avert eyes, stiffen arms - how my heart bleeds for her.  I saw her Friday night as I was helping mother set up, same as always - suddenly freeze, avert eyes, arms lock and then she would stumble at first away and then run.  Saturday morning I went to go buy some scones at the snack shop and found out that the young woman works there with her aunt.  When I approached, she totally shut down again, her aunt had to serve me.  Saturday night I returned to buy more scones figuring she would be gone.  Nope still there!

But haltingly, as though a child speaking its first words, she served me!  I was wowed, she had overcome something internally which allowed her address this scary old man!  And since I first learned to understand her problem in 2011, I have been in prayer for her.  I was elated she could be normal around me.  Sunday morning, she went out of her way to actually talk with me, calmly, looked me in the eyes, went way beyond the normal.  So cool!  Something changed, I would not pretend to know what, but if I see her again at the next show in two weeks - I will try to be gentle.  If you want to join me prayer, I am sorry I do not even know her name (nor expect to, ever).

Even since November, which was the last of this show cycle, the dealers are getting older and fading awaty.  One of my favorites is now in a rest home and a friend of his is now liquidating his collections.  How sad.  Others are obviously not going to be making it into next year, if even into this fall.  The cycle of life: you live it, you become an antique dealer, you die.  LOL,  but not so far from the truth, considering.

And I have noticed how things are simply just not out there anywhere.  A few years ago Mission Style furniture was everywhere - now you are lucky to see one piece a year!  Where did it go, why is it not being recycled?  Weird!  Same is true for Tiffany anything, or anything from the Art Nouveau era.  Art Deco anything is now also disappearing, as has almost all real depression glass.  Like I said, weird.

My knife making friend came with me for two of the days and he put out some collectable antique knives at great prices - absolutely no interest, but then almost no one came!

As for me, I did some shopping: American Indian blankets, baskets, pots - all being dumped; German steins and mugs - all being dumped; antique picture frames, old automotive tools, etc - all being dumped for pennies on the dollar - if not just flat out being thrown away!  Weird.

So, no idea what this all means other than vanishing supply, vanishing dealers and demand seems to not be much either.  Maybe the world is truly being ruled by computer games and like hobbies and crafts - antiquities are now a thing of the past...

I had a great laugh as well.  My mother's dog was sitting behind me and two women are walking towards me.  The see the dog and one of them says, "Well hello cutie!"

I responded, "And, hello to you ..." in as deep a voice as I could muster.  She was instantly embarrassed and trying to explain she was talking to the dog, but it only got worse and her friend is in there making it worse for her.  I was howling with laughter as I said, "Hey at my age you take what you can get!"

Across the isle from me is an old man from Oregon and he then was telling other dealers about this for hours!  It seemed to get better the way he told it though.  LOL

As for the show in two weeks, God still changes hearts and I almost hope to see that young woman again - if it will lead to her freedom.  But, conversely, I still lick my wounds of betrayal and rare is the female I trust anymore (okay, only one).  So ti will be a God thing or not at all.

No comments: