Friday, February 8, 2013

Cotton Candy Girl

So, thought it might be fun to remember how I came about meeting Cotton Candy Girl, whom I stumbled upon on Saturday at an antique show.

I had a pretty tough class about 20 years ago.  I was told not to take it as the kids were all prison material, that was the exiting teacher's comment.  So, I was intrigued.

By the end of the first class I had won over 45 hard cases to the intrigues of knowing a God no one had ever told them about before.  Also being able to speak their language in answering their questions helped a great deal as well.

One of the young men was a punk rocker, albeit a preacher's kid in real rebellion.  He wanted to shock me, I shocked him instead - when I told him I was him, 30 years earlier. 

After a few months, he brought his girlfriend from school, also a preacher's kid.  As normal and sweet as you could ever hope to find in a teenage girl.  Then I knew my angry young man, was actually going to do alright and make it, he just needed encouragement and not judgement.

She came for four years, as did he, they were a model couple and I often used them before their marriage for talks on love/hormones/etc.  They were proof you can make it through those tough years and have a Christian witness on the other side of them.  It was one of those gratifing moments in youth work which are so very rare.  (it also did not hurt that they knew of my discernment and were terrified of me!)

Of course, after marriage she adapted his lifestyle, but not his borderline faith.  So, yeah, tattoos, piercings and cotton candy hair but with the same sweet spirit which still defines her.

I still love the two of them dearly, I think of him often and it makes me smile to think that God used me to make a difference in the lives of a very young couple.   Through his post educational struggles I have continued to encourage him and he has done well in providing for his family, but he finds it impossible to accept the gruel dished out by the local churches (and I have to agree there!).  She also is doing well but just wants a church home and is frustrated because he will not settle down in one, even for their kids' sake.

Yeah, time to be encouraging again it seems.

If I love you, you get either unabashed Kris to get in your face or the silent Kris, whom is in prayer for you.  So, if you think I have forgotten because you have not heard from me - it is far from the truth. 

:)

No comments: