Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Interesting To Think On

I always like to think on weird things and see trends and how they occur and then figure out why.....

Now it seems that bad feet and knees seem to run in my family.  Feet problems from the Scottish side and knees from the Swiss side.  I am so lucky!  Of course, as I mentioned long ago, my cousin also has both but he had to earn his knee problems since he has none of the Swiss genes!

So I have been seeing a foot doctor.  First, my knees were killing me and given my shoe wear patterns I was thinking that a shoe insert might just do the trick.  It worked wonderful for my left leg but the right went on to severe foot pain.  Changed my foot doctor and he worked with trying to repair the damage a bad insert created.  Problem is that it will be six months to heal up.  Phooey! And part of the problem was the shoes I have been wearing.

Then I started to remember.....

When I was a kid my ankles were so weak that I had to wear braces to hold my legs up.  No big deal, there were lots of polio victims back then so no one even noticed my braces or made fun of me.  But, I had to wear hiking boots all of the time due to the stiffness they provided the foot as well as a base for the braces.

I started wearing tennis shoes, still stiff ones but as my ankles were stronger by 9th grade I no longer needed to wear boots.  However, I still wore Kletter boots most of the time because they were the "In" thing in the 1970's.  And this is is sort of how things went until 2002.

In 2002 I had to have knee surgery because I had broken both of my knees on a rain soaked walkway.  Yeah, king of the klutz's.  So had to wear really light footwear from then on.  I went with cross-trainer tennis shoes and loved them.  Right up to when I thought about seeing a foot doctor in 2009.  Where we are now back into a stiff boot most of the time.

And I thought on how odd it was that I just wore what my feet needed by default for all of the those years and it was not until the knee injury caused a change that the foot problem cropped up!

Just the way my mind works.....

No comments: