Thursday, December 16, 2010

Spook's Family

The following weekend, I went to Spook's home, deep in the eastern woods of a boring little country.  It was an amazing home; built by him, by hand, situated on a cute little lake, with his own power system generating electricity to run a well pump and his home.  My only thought when I first saw it was SWEET!  No wonder we got along so well, we apparently were much alike on the inside.

His family was totally freaked out to meet a 'westerner' and although I was a novelty, I was also a threat in their political system.  No one would be talking about this visit.  Such were the old ways and I am not so sure they have actually changed that much amongst the politicos. 

His wife was very likable, I think lonely in their seclusion.  They had three teenage boys whom were just that - full of youthful enthusiasm (spell that - trouble!).

After dinner, Spook told his family about his decision to become a Christian and what had brought it about.  The boys bolted from the table.  I could easily understand their terror; change is evil and this was a major change in their father they had been wondering at I am sure.

His wife had about three hours of questions for me.  Thank heavens I had gone to Bible School or I would never have been able to answer many of her questions.  It seems her grandparents had been Lutheran, so some she remembered but some was very new to her.

She too prayed to accept Christ by the end of the evening.

Spook arranged a deal for my company which allowed me to be almost next door to him for the next nine months as I led Bible studies and discipleship classes for him and a few friends.  We sort of had a mini-revival going on out there in the woods and I was so surprised by this you have no idea.

But, as with all good things - evil will not be far behind.....

No comments: