Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Cheer

'Tis the season for holiday cheer! NOT!  I have been simply amazed at how incredibly rude people can be this time of year.

Oh you know the types - huge SUV decides it wants to be in my lane and simply cuts me off at the stop light.  Never mind that it is against the law to change lanes within 50 feet of an intersection.  I got the finger from the guy too, because I shook my index finger at him in the universal sign of 'bad boy'.  He was darn lucky I did not push his driver's door into the passenger seat - that is how close it was!

Or the lady in a white car trying to sideswipe an SUV, head hanging out of the window, screaming her fool head off and honking her honk like she was crazy.  He pulled up to the light on my left, she in the right turn lane to make a right.  She is screaming every obscenity known to man and gives him the finger to boot and then jets off and turns into Starbucks.  I think she may have already had too much caffeine, but hey, I'm not saying a thing until she gets her cup of Java.....

Of course, it is Christmas time and we have to have panhandlers at grocery stores.  I wish they really were unemployed/desperate/whatever - instead of crack users.  Yeah, our church watches for real people in need of help rather than in need of their next fix.  I had hyper-extended my right knee so was walking kind of slow, even with a cane, and when I got to the guy I just knew he was going to tell me about his broken down car or how his children would be missing Christmas.  Instead he looked my swollen leg over and obviously pained face and just turned away and started chugging from a paper bag.

One of the young women in the church is homeless and like many I have met, lives in her car.  This same guy gave her the homeless, needs food line and she really opened up on him!  Yeah, I don't think he had actually met a homeless person before!  I told her later she should have asked him for gas money.....

I like the Salvation Army bell ringers at the front of stores which still recognize Christmas as a time for something other than increased profits.  (Hence why I do not shop at Target.  Heck they are a French holding anyways and don't ask how I feel about them!)  So, outside of Albertson's was a bell ringer without any bell!  Of course, he asked for a donation.  But, I told the guy that I only give to those willing to ring their bell.  He told me to, "@#$!%^&%$#" myself.  Yeah, and Merry Christmas to you too - loser!

One of my associates found a fifty dollar bill on the floor of a store.  Instead of turning it in, he abandoned his shopping and rushed home to celebrate.  I couldn't help but think that whomever had lost that money might liked to have seen it turned in.  Or how much it could have been used by the Salvation Army, if dropped in their bucket, where the silent bell ringer was cussing people out.  But instead he was calling up everyone to tell them of his great fortune (at stealing someone's fifty dollar bill).  No he doesn't need the money and it will either go for booze or lottery tickets.  Yeah, ask how I really feel about that one!

Due to the complete collapse of my finances during the past eight months, things are really tight for presents this year.  And, with four kids and three grand kids, plus assorted friends, it is Goodwill or nothing at all this year!  I have found some great deals on nice stuff this year for everyone.  I guess you really can do well being broke and still help others have a nice Christmas.  But, I have also been working on making presents too, so a craftsy Christmas as well.  My kids are about as broke as me, so I have encouraged them to only give cards this year.

Last night I was in a used bookstore, looking for some last minute goodies and found several yummy items for my present list, as well as,  an unexpected treasure for me!  Yeah, it is actually a rare volume on knife making during the middle ages.  And, at a buck, how could I pass that up?  I also found a book by Art Linkletter on funny things kids say.  It was pretty funny as I read it going to bed last night.  I may have to quote a few of them next year.

My hard hearted son, whom it could be said, Christmas is all about taking and  then complaining - I learned, had taken all of his X-Box games in and sold them so he could buy gifts this year for the family.  Wow, guess whom is growing up slightly!  And his girl friend I learned has been knitting clothes for my grandchildren.  Double wow!  Like people whom knit.

What I look forward to the most this holiday season is that we are gathering as family, everyone is talking to one another (for a change!), even my mother is coming for Christmas dinner!  And it will just be a time of joy

The next few days will be extremely busy - so I doubt I will have much computer time.....  Merry Christmas my friends, family and mysterious-unknown-readers. 

No comments: