Friday, December 10, 2010

Spook Has A Problem

It was not exactly anything more than a dark, dank and fairly disgusting pub.  But, it was a local's watering hole and given the politically climate in Nicaragua at the time, probably one of the safer places to be - especially with Spook.

My idea of drinking is to sit down with a beer and sip it over two to three hours.  Spook's idea involved both whiskey and beers - in vast quantities during the same time period.  We are talking possible alcohol poisoning levels here!  Of course this level of drinking is going to go one of two ways, Spook is going to become violent or Spook is going to pass out at some point.  Well, that is what I expected; reality was a bit different - Spook started talking.

He told me about his family when he was growing up and life at his uncle's dacha.  He told me about meeting Mrs. Spook and all of his little spook-ettes, and his beloved hunting dogs.  It was interesting to see this man in fuller dimension, not only as someone I had come to know as a semi-friend (however evasive our friendship had been) but as a family man and someone drawn into a life he did not exactly like - due to the politically influence of his uncle.  But, it did gave him the lifestyle needed to live very well off indeed and so he continued, even though all he wanted in life was to hunt, fish and be with his family.

It was springtime and I am not sure Nicaragua is ever a nice place to be, but I noticed that I seemed to be handling the humid heat far better than him.  Given the profuse sweating and developing shakiness of his hands, something was not right.  I eventually was able to help him away from his glass and into a taxi.  Searching his pockets I found his hotel, so could tell the driver where to deliver him, but also discovered a Bulgarian passport.

No, he was not Bulgarian.  I knew that from our first meeting.  But, why use a Bulgarian one, if you did not have to?  Something to think about I guess.  And whom am I to talk, I have three passports myself!

Back at the construction site, I hopped on my remote monitor and sent a PROFs message to the doctor in my company asking what caused the symptoms I had observed.

Hours later, after several questions from the doctor, his diagnosis was hypoglycemia.  Spook had a problem it seems and alcohol was probably his absolute worse enemy.....

No comments: