Friday, September 27, 2013

Confirming A Problem

 It was 2005, I was just getting into blogging, my 17 year old daughter had gone crazy and run away from home.  I was despondent, I had absolutely no clue what to do.  It was pathetic.  In desperation I turned to the internet and started just typing keywords until something popped up, I would then cruise through thousands of sites, looking for something which would help me with my daughter.  That was how I met Miss Manners.

Different parts of the world, different backgrounds, different situations, but I have always assumed that all people are the same both today and across time.  And she shared with me ideas on how to work with my oldest daughter to resolve the issues between us.  No, I was skeptical of her advice, but I did as told the first time I had a chance - on her 18th birthday.  And my daughter started to turn around quite abruptly!  She is now someone I count on heavily - we are if nothing else, extremely good friends, which I think is how adult children should be.  Parent and child, yet equal in each other's sight.  Yeah, most of my friends are a little more controlling than me and expect their adult children to still be children ... okay ... I disagree ...

What my now friend Miss Manner's had explained to me was the psychology of girls.  In the years since, I have observed her knowledge and descriptions to have been quite accurate.  And I have seen in this culture a greater and greater disconnect between men and their daughters.  To the extent now I wonder exactly what did happen masculinity?!?

Sunday, as I walked in to my Church's foyer, one of the younger men cornered me to ask what to do about his 20-something, going on 12 female he is dealing with in his house and wanting to kick to the moon.  I shared with him, what I had been told 8 years earlier.  He just stared at me, "Really?"  Yeah, we are all quite clueless, thank Miss Manners.

Then, as I was part of the prayer team, a woman came up front, with exactly the same problems to discuss - in her life, in her daughter's life!  What are the odds of twice in the same morning?  So, we then, before we prayed, had exactly the same discussion!  Which brought forth quite a few other prayer items as well.

So, Miss Manner's, if you are still a reader, know that your wisdom - you shared with me, is in turn being used by many here in the greater Seattle area to hopefully heal families struggling in this cultural climate ...

No comments: