Monday, September 9, 2013

Back

Well my attempts to do my blog posts on my trip failed miserably!  The hotel's internet was down, though they swore it was not, however no one could connect.  So, the only working wireless was at a gas station, where a little band of die hard's gathered behind the gas station trash, playing vampires with the station's internet.  I am not so hard core as to do that!  Especially since it rained quite a bit there and I love my little Acer.  Sigh.

However, it was interesting to see how German culture is mimicked, the actual culture is long dead of course, killed by the invasion of Americanism, which has eroded all of the old values.  Of course, some needed eroded, like the love for Nazi's.

Food was but a pale comparison to my memory, and how I cook at home, though I did find one place which was excellent.  I sat amazed as I watched an old US GI down a four person meal, as I ate my one!  He was still going strong when the desserts had all been polished off.  I guess he has never heard of heart disease - yet!

But, oomph-pah-pah music was everywhere, after all Oktoberfest begins officially on the 17th!  So, many a man were downing vast quantities of beer and the next morning shop keepers were all out hosing down the urine and stale beer projected upon the sides of their buildings the night before!  I hate Oktoberfest season.

As you might have read, Germany has just allowed gay marriage and so many a happy "couple" were staying at my hotel.  Call me inappropriate but their behavior in public certainly was!  I was torn to call them to account or just ignore them and realize that they are on a road of their own choosing.  Discretion being the better part of staying alive at times.  It literally broke my heart to see what has become of my countrymen and culture.  We have finally out Frenched, the French.  Sigh.

However, I do not wish to leave you with the impression I whimped out completely while there!  I noted the first day two teenage girls working the street.  Next morning, I did take them on!  The 14 year old, made a rather dramatic reversal on her appearance, apologized and I did not see her return for the rest of the time there.  I can only pray God will see to it that her path is going to get a whole lot straighter and narrower in the very near future.  The 19 year old was a bit more difficult to work with because she was a mite hardened.  And for her I wished I had longer there because I would like to see her turned over to one of the matriarchs of the village.  It took a bit for her to see my viewpoint, she had never considered there was another way, another culture, it was all she knew.  But, again, she disappeared as well and I can only hope God will deal with that tiny grain of truth to get in.  I just can not tolerate innocence being trashed by the sickness of this culture.

Mostly, I kind of hung with a group of Polish Germans.  They felt rather out of place (like me Germans of the old fashion) and if you ignored the mouthy female my age, they were a great group to hang out with.  We went horseback riding, though all of the older ones declined to go, just the young adventurous ones and me went!  It was a great morning ride with lots of wildlife to be found.  My knees are still killing me from that one!

In all, it was wonderful to be back in something close to my culture as a child, painful noting the differences and heartwarming to be back home with my grandchildren.

To my children, thank you for a wonderful trip, you spoil me.  To my friend, heartfelt thank yous for all of the communications, you are very much missed.

No comments: