Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Movies At Christmas

At the theater, the Christmas Holiday viewing season is second only to the summer - in its ability to suck (mostly youthful) viewers in for massive spending on movies and condiments.  (and I only figured this out - that I am not longer part of their demographic!)  But, that is only part of it.  How about all of those movie rental opportunities, TV and cable showings as well?

So, it is now Christmas Eve, the kids are snuggled in their beds and it is present wrapping time.  What is more normal than watching a good Christmas flick while you are busy cutting parts of you pants off which the wrapping paper was laying across, cursing at the tape dispenser and of course - cutting the paper too small (even when measured!) to go all of the way around a present?  No, I am not talking Miracle on 34th Street (though very cute) or Its A Wonderful Life (where you have to not be a literalist in order to appreciate this movie!).

Gaelic Girl, now she likes to watch the Die Hard series while wrapping presents.  Here in small town USA, when I brought up this question, several of the church women's first choice was Jurasic Park!  OMG!  Somehow the female savage package wrapping is soothed through watching dinosaurs munch their way through a movie?!?!?!?!?  (Maybe they are more interesting than I thought!)

For me, it has to be Donovan's Reef.  John Wayne, Lee Marvin in his prime, and what was Caesar Romero doing in there?  But, it is comedy and a romantic one at that!  It soothes my inner romantic.  Then I can watch Jurassic Park!  LOL!!!

So, as usual, it was Donovan's Reef.  But, I still had more presents to do, so I clicked on the boob-tube and my favorite film of all time was just starting - and I have not seen it in over 40 years!

"For Heaven's Sake", is the story of two angels whom are trying to get a couple to have a baby because the soul of their waiting child is growing older and there is concern in heaven.  Robert Cummings is one of my favorite actors, but Clifton Webb stole the movie - he was magnificent.  Joan Blondell, a family friend I only knew in her later years, was just a blonde bombshell - fulfilling the requirement for a 1950/60's movie to have one.  Not her best work.


Heartwarming story, simple plot, just a feel good movie.  So, why do I care one way or the other about this movie?  Clifton Webb.  Apparently, he could play the harp - for real - and he did so several times.  Outside of this movie I have never seen a harp used to play some boogie-woogie - I was impressed.  And 40 years later as I watched this film again, I was amazed to find I still found the story good, the acting good, the harp awesome, the humor still brought a snicker.  And, it was good to see 'Aunt' Joan, a compatriot of my great-aunt again.  She has been gone now 32 years and with her went one of the funnier people I have known.

It was just a plain great night.....

:^)

No comments: