Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Old Not Dead

I took the two kids, not on their own, out to dinner at Wendy's on Sunday night.  It really turned into an interesting time.....

Now this lady and her husband are sitting near us and as they leave, she smiles at me and says hello.  Absolutely no idea whom she is and fairly sure I have never seen her before.  Names I can never remember, but a face is eternal in my memory!

Youngest daughter goes, "So, who was that?", with her usual over protective tone in her voice.

"No idea."

"Then why did she say hello?"

Now son chimes in, "She smiled too!  That lady was checking him out and with her husband right there with her too!"

YD, "Say what?", in her best Hanna Montana imitation.  (how i hate that, sigh!)

Son, "Yeah, then there was this gal at the mall this evening doing the same thing!"

YD, "Say what!"

Me, "I think they were just being friendly."

Son explodes, "Someone was that friendly, I wouldn't be sitting here with you!"

Me, "I think it is nice that other people smile at one another and say hi."

Son, "Well that girl at the mall wasn't saying nothin'!  What's with that?  She was closer to my age! And if you had said anything she would be here right now!"

Me, "I am guessing she was 30-ish so almost old enough to be your mother...."

Son, "Thirty!  She is almost young enough to be your daughter!"

Me, "Well, I am only old and not quite dead!  Yet!"

From there, son's testosterone kicked in and we were off for a riot of a discussion.  I noticed that many people were hanging around just for the laughter he was causing,  It was that good and if I could ever remember a conversation you would be roaring with laughter too.

But, during the following discussion I was able to reiterate to YD that she was observing exactly what is wrong with males in this culture where "hot" is a product of physical attraction and has nothing to do with whom the person is.

And I have to admit I have thought about going back to that mall next Sunday to have this same talk with the mystery woman, if she was there again.  I am given of the impression she is hunting and does not realize that maybe she has more to offer a partner than her body.  Now I need to find a female I trust to chaperon that encounter.....  If I do it.  Will have to pray a great deal before I ever do such a thing though.  And, I am known on four continents for my extreme cowardice (as a few of you know!).

Of course I am a bit bolder when trapped and faced with having to get into some female's face over their behavior.  (As  happened so recently with the one named Bridget (sp?))

Turning into an interesting year.....

:^)

No comments: