Monday, February 7, 2011

Dutchman's BD

Friday night was Dutchman's birthday and his wife attempted to gather his friends and family to come and celebrate with him.  But, it turned out that only parents, Gaelic Girl and myself came.  Really surprised me.  I am guessing that either the economy has everyone in a bind (in spite of what the prada press keeps telling us) or Priest River is just too far out of the way to get to.

It was nice seeing his parents though, albeit, they have aged greatly since I last saw them.  It is so hard to reconcile the aged father with the man I vividly remember cursing us out and attempting to kill Dutchman and I with an iron table he hurled at us.  It probably weighed in at 150 pounds or more and took on the wall behind where we had just been standing.  Now he is frail, has Parkinson's and deaf.  His mother now has had a knee replacement and a hip replacement, but is almost bent in half by osteoporosis and is just as "dingy" as ever.

On the drive from Spokane's airport to his house she got to listen to Glen Beck.  So she commented how much she liked Glen Beck and how it is a shame that Muslims will not listen to him, etc.  GG chirped up and said that she thought GB was obnoxious and she really did not like him.  So, the mother goes, "Why, 'GG', I didn't know you were a Muslim!"  and then refused to talk to her for the rest of the night.  Oh how we all laughed after she and father retired for the night.

I have to admit I am not real sure what Dutchman sees in Priest River.  Major commute to almost everywhere.  Yeah the homes are nice, but heavily overpriced, even if your house does have a runway!  I tell you, one of these days I am going to get a call that Dutchman died because his (!$@%%^#^) ultralight smacked the ground too hard.  He maybe smarter than the average bear, but really needs to think long term to the dangers of these vechiles!

But, Dutchman is now offically as old as me.

:^)

No comments: