Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Living "The Life"

If there are reoccurring themes to conversations I have with people, the top two would be relationships (like finding your marriage partner) and what is a Christian Life.  Everybody and their mother writes on the first one, including me, as I have penned tons of material on this - some of which I have then found blogged by others!  Whatever, just so those whom read also listen..,...

So what does it mean to "Live a Christian Life"?  Is piety involved?  Is it that long list of DON'Ts so many live by to prove their Christianity?  Is it calling your material blessings, God's reward for your piety?  Well, lets do an easy browse of the Bible to find out.....

It is not what the world or the "Christian" cults believe:

Luke 12:15
Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (NIV)

It is found only in God:

Deuteronomy30:19
19    I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
20    and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
(NIV)

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (NIV)

I John 5:12
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. (NIV)

It is God living in me:

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (NIV)

Psalms 16:11
You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (NIV)

It is a holy life based on a thankful heart:

Psalms 34:8-14
8    Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
9    Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing.
10    The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
11    Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12    Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
13    keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.
14    Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
(NIV)

It is God's Word:

Deuteronomy 32:46-47
46    he said to them, "Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law.
47   They are not just idle words for you-- they are your life. By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess."
(NIV)

Matthew 4:4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" (NIV)

It is a life of accepted stability:

1 Corinthians 7:17
Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. (NIV)

It is the Crown at the end:

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. (NIV)

So, what does it mean to be living the Christian Life?  It is living the life God has given you.  Be what God made you to be.  If you are called in the midst of life - then seek God where ever you are in life and start living for Him!

Best idea to get started?  Activate your prayer life by praying your life, tell God all about it.  So many I know claim that since God knows it all, there is no reason to tell him about it.  But, once they do, it is amazing to see how their lives change - and guess what!  They still do not see God at work in their lives.  Yeah, you need to look for Him and His opportunities too!

No comments: