Thursday, October 21, 2010

Honor Thy .....

Sunday was interesting in so far as the sermon went, the pastor spoke on mothers and honoring them.  It was sort of interesting from the standpoint of my mother was in need of help and I was doing what I could.

Given that this woman has been mentally ill for most of her life and refusing to even talk to me for about half of that life, yeah, it is mighty hard to honor her as my parent.  In fact, the pastor of my last church met her in 1998 and he commented that the only real way to honor her memory was to never tell anyone I had a mother.  Yeah, she sure impressed him.

So, it has been with great hesitancy that I have stepped forward to care for mother as she recovers from her triple bypass.  But, she has been pleasant, so it has not been too hard.

Of course, this morning she was something less than sweet and cussed me out for 10 minutes because I did not have keys to her gate.  Did not matter she had them in her purse, but I was supposed to have them ready.  Sigh.

Given her nomadic lifestyle and hermit like tendencies, I have decided to try and socalize her - no she already is a communist (LOL!), but to get her involved in people.  I had taken her to my middle daughter's birthday and she did good.  So, tomorrow we are headed for Priest Lake and Dutchman's oldest son's wedding reception.

Ought to be interesting, several hours in a car with my mother screaming about being on the highway.  Yeah, she finds backroads challenging enough.....

No comments: