Tuesday, October 19, 2010

God's Humor

God really has a perverse sense of humor and I seemingly am the butt of it more than I like.  Take last Sunday for instance......

I am back to teaching high school Sunday School and had been trying to think of a how to do a series on comparative religion.  You know, a solid definition of Christianity which is unbiased by culture or denominational beliefs, then a look at several of the world's major religions.  But an intro, how to do a fun intro to capture their attention?  Now there is a guy whom did a Christian trash piece on the internet many years ago, so I used his idea and some of his graphics to do a look at religion from an atheist's viewpoint - but without trashing Christianity in the process.  The result I thought was quite humorous and yet still very defendable as far as truth was concerned.

But, there is a basic assumption in the piece, that no one will be offended if Roman Catholics and aboriginal indians are the straight men in the presentation.  Pretty safe assumption, or so I thought.

Class is just about to get started when in walks two girls I have never seen before; one I am to learn is an ex-Catholic from Baja, Mexico, the other is from the upper reaches of the Amazon River in Ecuador.  I am now so hosed.....

So, I had to do an awful lot of explaining to be sure I did not offend them or their families when they were to hear about the lesson!  But, we made it through it and I think they thought it a rather novel way of explaining religion.

Whew!

And, I heard the quiet chuckle in my spirit as God watched this personal disaster unfold.....

No comments: