Thursday, April 2, 2009

Forgiveness

Several years ago my pastor and I had quite a conversation around twin concepts: forgiveness and honoring your parents.  Since he had come to Seattle when I had spinal surgery, he got to meet my mother and, well, he now understood my problem much better.  Maybe 70x70 was enough.

Out of the blue he taught a lesson on forgiveness.  It always pleases me no end when I know the history behind something he does because the lesson has more meaning and impact.  So seeing where this discussion had led him, here is the gist of his presentation…..

Matthew 18:21-35

Admit when you are wrong. 
Do not hold a grudge.

Become a disciple, not a doormat.
Know your Scripture and where you should stand on issues.
Do not be gullible and become a victim.
Trust is earned, forgiveness is a gift.

Cancel the poison of unforgiveness in your life.
You only poison yourself, not the other party!

Do not equate reconciliation with forgiveness!
            Forgiveness does not mean setting yourself up for more abuse.

Emotions are optional; obedience is not.
            We are to forgive, we do not have to like it or the other party!

Free yourself from the prison of bitterness.
You make your own jail, which does bring on health issues.

No comments: