Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Joy


Please forgive my poor photography, cameras just are not my “thing”.  This is my grand-daughter at my oldest daughter’s birthday party last week.  (Was it only LAST week?)  GD fell in love with the balloons. 

She would bounce them around while giggling wildly.  When she could wrap her pudgy little fingers around one or more of them, they had to be rapidly banged against her head, the table, each other, her mother’s face.  Giggles and laughter are contagious and the entire area really lit up from her frivolity.

Such simple, unabashed joy.

I could not help but think about myself and most Christians I know.  Long of face, most looking like they have sucked a lemon – rather than having the joy of knowing their Creator in a very special way.

Imagine a church full of people truly joyful for their forgiveness in Jesus.  Imagine how much we would have to change in order to be so free in our expression of joy.  I am not calling for what I saw in the charismatic church I used to attend, something a little more in control would be much better than what I see every Sunday, no matter where I am.

GD could not careless what anyone thinks as she played with the balloons, her enjoyment was real.  Might be nice if our worship and enjoyment in Jesus was as well.

No comments: